David Ashton, Principal Consultant/CEO, is an experienced professional who has held senior (to state manager level) commercial, operational and general management positions across a range of industry sectors, demonstrating a capability to adapt his skills and experience to succeed in new environments.
His key strengths include being able to see the big picture, perseverance, organisational and time management skills, developing solid working relationships, ability to influence and persuade, strong negotiation, verbal and written skills and whole of business awareness. He is a corporate executive with integrity, high motivation and energy, who is able to lead and grow businesses in tough environments by possessing a strong commercial acumen and governance discipline.
His skill set provides for organisational flexibility and efficiency by having him perform a range of tasks which might otherwise be carried out by several people.
David is ideally suited to a challenging leadership role with high levels of accountability, autonomy and requiring strong strategic, commercial, financial and human resource management competence in an organisation that is seeking to go to another level.
- Asset and Facilities Management;
- Management Consultancy;
- Wagering and Gaming;
- Local and State Government;
- Accommodation and mining camp management (catering, cleaning, maintenance, accommodation management); and
- Corporate Real Estate (Sales, Leasing, Management).
- Risk, Compliance, Governance, Business Continuity – development and implementation of plans, procedures and policies;
- Implementing business management systems and process improvements leading to changes in organisational culture, productivity and financial performance;
- Development and implementation of Health, Safety, Environment and Quality management systems including auditing services;
- Business and Strategic Planning – facilitating the development of and writing plans and managing implementation;
- Legislation and policy review, development and management through governmental processes;
- Human resource management, leading project teams, membership of a corporate executive team and state management responsibilities – experience with Aboriginal and disability engagement and employment;
- Financial Management including preparation of financial models, reports and performance analysis, budgeting and P&L responsibility;
- Procurement and Contract Management, Estimating;
- Land, Property and Asset Management including lease negotiation, acquisition, re-zoning, facilities/property management, local government approvals – project management of capital works developments, building fit-outs, renovations and onsite maintenance;
- Client and supplier relationship management;
- Community and stakeholder engagement;
- Fleet, plant and equipment management – preventative and reactive maintenance, insurance and establishing and reviewing ongoing contracts;
- Records management and document control – Freedom of Information and Privacy;
- Business Development, tender preparation; and
- Microsoft Office, Lotus Notes, MYOB, TRIM, Oracle, JD Edwards, Authority, Finance One.
- Master of Accounting – Currently in Progress.
- Construction Supervisors Short Course – 2016
- Diploma of Quality Auditing (OHS , QMS, EMS, Risk) – 2012.
- AICD Company Directors Course (Residential Program) – 2012.
- Sales Representative (Licence No.: 56183) (REIWA) – 2007.
- Master of Business Administration (Finance, HR, Marketing, Management, Business Strategy) – 2001.
- Bachelor of Arts (Social Sciences) (Economics, Political Economy, Management Theory, Asian Business and Culture, Media) – 1994.
- Board Member (Consumer Representative) – Architects Board of Western Australia (Ministerial Appointment, since October 2017).
- Expert Director – South West Aboriginal Land and Sea Council (SWALSC) (Since April 2016).
- Chairperson – SWALSC Audit, Risk and Finance Committee (Since July 2016).
Local Government Elected Member Experience
David is a former local government manager (City of Cockburn and Shire of Ashburton, WA) and elected member and Deputy Mayor (Town of Victoria Park, WA) and has extensive knowledge of and experience in local government governance, policy-making, strategy, statutory approvals and management generally.
As Deputy Mayor and an elected member, he played a leading and constructive role in shaping modern Victoria Park and served as a member of the following committees.
- Integrated Movement and Transport Advisory Working Group (Chairman);
- Victoria Park/South Perth Local Government Reform Taskforce;
- Development Assessment Panel (Ministerial appointment);
- Business Life Working Group (Chairperson);
- Disability Access Working Group;
- Regional Planning Committee (SE Metro Zone) (Ministerial appointment);
- WA Local Government Association (SE Metro Zone);
- Community Environmental Working Group;
- Community Safety Working Group;
- Audit Committee (Chairperson);
- Lathlain Park Redevelopment Working Group;
- Multi-purpose Sports Centre Working Group; and
- Parking Management Committee.
His professional skills and experience were used to advocate for and drive the development and implementation of strategies with regard to transport, parking and road safety, economic development, public art, corporate governance, financial management, community engagement and strategic town and infrastructure planning.