Specialised Areas / Industries | Job Roles | Experience | Qualifications | Board Appointments | Memberships & Affiliations | Local Government Experience
David Ashton is an experienced professional who has held senior commercial, operational and general management positions across a range of industry sectors, demonstrating a capability to adapt his skills and experience to succeed in new environments.
His key strengths include being able to see the big picture, perseverance, organisational and time management skills, making connections across domains and working on problems for which the parameters are not clear, ability to influence and persuade, strong negotiation, verbal and written skills and whole of business awareness.
He is a corporate executive with integrity, good judgment and a broad perspective who can lead and grow businesses in tough environments by possessing a strong commercial acumen and governance discipline.
His broad skill set allows him to manage multiple areas of a business, overseeing functional specialists and have him perform a range of tasks which might otherwise be carried out by several people.
David is ideally suited to a challenging leadership role with high levels of accountability, autonomy and requiring strong strategic, commercial, financial and human resource management competence in an organisation that is seeking to go to another level.
- Asset and Facilities Management;
- Construction / Mining Services;
- Management Consultancy;
- Wagering and Gaming;
- Local, State and Federal Government;
- Not-for-profit (Non-Government Organisations);
- Accommodation and mining camp management (catering, cleaning, maintenance, accommodation management); and
- Corporate Real Estate (Sales, Leasing, Management).
- Principal Consultant (Corporate Supremacy).
- Partner (The Include Program).
- Director – Corporate (Moto Warehouse Pty Ltd).
- Commercial Manager (R2R Services).
- Regional Operations Manager / Contract Manager (United Group (Services) Ltd).
- WA Asset Manager (Metcash Ltd).
- Manager Administration & Supply (WA TAB).
- Senior Administration Officer (Shire of Ashburton).
- Administrative Support Officer (City of Cockburn).
- Land, Property and Asset Management including lease negotiation, acquisition, re-zoning, facilities/property management, local government approvals – project management of capital works developments, building fit-outs, renovations and onsite maintenance.
- Procurement and Contract Management / Estimating – preparing tenders from the initial tender planning stage, development of terms of reference, assessing tender submissions, determining a preferred supplier, negotiating and awarding a contract, transition and ongoing management, providing advice and guidance to organisation’s on procurement and contracting strategies.
- Financial management including budgeting and planning, forecast modelling, P&L responsibility, investment analysis and expenditure controls – strategic financial management to identify cost savings and achieve strategic and operational financial objectives.
- Instructed and supervised external consultants including valuers, property managers, project managers, architects, quantity surveyors, solicitors, insurance brokers, builders, tradespeople in regard facilities management and maintenance and capital works projects.
- Development and implementation of strategic asset management plans – facilitating the development of and writing a plan, regularly reviewing plans and assessing performance against plan objectives – preparation of business cases to obtain project approval and funding, identifying future works, requirement definitions and making appropriate recommendations, preventative and reactive maintenance strategies for buildings and associated plant and equipment.
- Governance, risk and compliance – development and implementation of a governance framework incorporating a risk management and compliance regime as they relate to asset and facilities management – development of risk matrices, risk treatment plans, business continuity and disaster recovery strategies.
- Employee relations and departmental management of staff and contractors across a range of disciplines and in multiple locations – performance management, training and development and recruitment and induction – conducting regular staff meetings and encouraging knowledge sharing, team building and mutual support – experience with Aboriginal and disability engagement and employment.
- Executive level management experience as part of a corporate leadership team – participating in and leading corporate development and preparing and implementing business and strategic plans
- Client and supplier relationship management – proactive approach to developing positive client working relationships and delivering services in accordance with client expectations/contract.
- Implementing business management systems and process improvements leading to changes in organisational culture, productivity and financial performance.
- Development and implementation of Health, Safety, Environment and Quality management systems including Audit services.
- Business and Strategic Planning – facilitating the development of and writing plans and managing implementation.
- Legislation and policy review, development and management through governmental processes.
- Fleet, plant and equipment management – preventative and reactive maintenance, insurance and establishing and reviewing contracts;
- Records management and document control – Freedom of Information and Privacy.
- Various software, SAP and social media programs and apps.
- Master of Accounting – Currently in Progress.
- Construction Supervisors Short Course.
- Diploma of Quality Auditing (OHS , QMS, EMS, Risk).
- AICD Company Directors Course (Residential Program).
- Sales Representative (Licence No.: 56183) (REIWA).
- Master of Business Administration (Finance, HR, Marketing, Management, Business Strategy).
- Bachelor of Arts (Social Sciences) (Economics, Political Economy, Management Theory, Asian Business and Culture, Media).
- Director (and Shareholder) – Moto Warehouse Pty Ltd (Since May 2018)
- Board Member (Consumer Representative) – Architects Board of Western Australia (Ministerial Appointment, since October 2017).
- Expert Director – South West Aboriginal Land and Sea Council (SWALSC) (Since April 2016). (Chairperson – SWALSC Finance, Audit and Risk Sub-committee).
- Chairperson – SWALSC Audit, Risk and Finance Committee (Since July 2016).
Memberships and Affiliations
- Bunbury Geographe Chamber of Commerce & Industries.
- Australian Institute of Company Directors (Graduate Member).
Local Government Elected Member Experience
David is a former local government manager (City of Cockburn and Shire of Ashburton, WA) and elected member and Deputy Mayor (Town of Victoria Park, WA) and has extensive knowledge of and experience in local government governance, policy-making, strategy, statutory approvals and management generally.
David has a unique experience with and understanding of local government having been a manager and elected member with, and a consultant to local government. He is also a ratepayer.
As Deputy Mayor and an elected member, he played a leading and constructive role in shaping modern Victoria Park and served as a member of the following committees:
- Integrated Movement and Transport Advisory Working Group (Chairman);
- Victoria Park/South Perth Local Government Reform Taskforce;
- Development Assessment Panel (Ministerial appointment);
- Business Life Working Group (Chairperson);
- Disability Access Working Group;
- Regional Planning Committee (SE Metro Zone) (Ministerial appointment);
- WA Local Government Association (SE Metro Zone);
- Community Environmental Working Group;
- Community Safety Working Group;
- Audit Committee (Chairperson);
- Lathlain Park Redevelopment Working Group;
- Multi-purpose Sports Centre Working Group; and
- Parking Management Committee.
His professional skills and experience were used to advocate for and drive the development and implementation of strategies regarding transport, parking and road safety, economic development, public art, corporate governance, financial management, community engagement and strategic town and infrastructure planning.