Job Roles | Experience | Qualifications | Board Appointments | Memberships & Affiliations | Local Government Experience
David Ashton is an experienced business manager who has held senior commercial, operational and general management positions across a range of industry sectors, demonstrating a capability to adapt his skills and experience to succeed in different environments.
His key strengths include being able to see the big picture; perseverance; organisational and time management; making connections across domains and working on problems for which the parameters are not clear; ability to influence and persuade; strong negotiation, verbal and written skills; and whole of business awareness.
He is a business manager with integrity, good judgment and a broad perspective who can lead and grow businesses in tough environments through the possession of a strong commercial acumen and governance discipline.
His broad skill set allows him to manage multiple areas of a business, overseeing functional specialists and allowing him to perform a range of tasks which might otherwise be carried out by several people.
Prior to commencing his consulting business David Ashton held the following positions within government and industry:
- Commercial Manager (R2R Services).
- Regional Operations Manager / Contract Manager (United Group (Services) Ltd).
- WA Asset Manager (Metcash Ltd).
- Manager Administration & Supply (WA TAB).
- Senior Administration Officer (Shire of Ashburton).
- Administrative Support Officer (City of Cockburn).↑ top
- Master of Business Administration (Finance, HR, Marketing, Management, Business Strategy).
- Bachelor of Arts (Social Sciences) (Economics, Political Economy, Management Theory, Asian Business and Culture, Media).
- Diploma of Quality Auditing (OHS , QMS, EMS, Risk).
- Graduate Certificate of Professional Accounting – Currently in Progress.
- AICD Company Directors Course (Residential Program).
- Construction Supervisors Short Course.
- CPCCWHS1001 Construction Safety White Card-WA Course (W/C No.: 10665736)
- Certificate of Registration as a Real Estate and Business Sales Representative (Registration No.: 56183) (REIWA)
- CPCCWHS1001 Construction Safety White Card-WA Course (W/C No.: 10665736) – 2020
- Graduate – AICD Company Directors Course (Residential Program) – 2012↑ top
- Board Member (Consumer Representative) – Architects Board of Western Australia (Ministerial Appointment, since October 2017) – Member of the Governance Sub-committee.
- Expert Director – South West Aboriginal Land and Sea Council (SWALSC) (Since April 2016) – Chairperson of the SWALSC Finance, Audit and Risk Sub-committee.↑ top
Memberships and Affiliations
- Bunbury Geographe Chamber of Commerce & Industries.
- Australian Institute of Company Directors (Graduate Member).
- Institute of Management Consultants (Member).
Core Competencies / Skills
- Land, Property and Asset Management, Corporate Real Estate management (all property classes).
- Managing Capital Works Projects.
- Procurement and Contract Management, Estimating.
- Financial management including budgeting and planning, forecast modelling, P&L responsibility, investment analysis and expenditure controls.
- Development and implementation of strategic asset management plans.
- Governance, risk and compliance – development and implementation of a governance framework incorporating a risk management and compliance regime.
- Employee relations and departmental management of staff and contractors across a range of disciplines and in multiple locations – performance management, training and development and recruitment and induction – conducting regular staff meetings and encouraging knowledge sharing, team building and mutual support – experience with Aboriginal and disability engagement and employment.
- Executive level management experience as part of a corporate leadership team.
- Participating in and leading corporate development and preparing and implementing business and strategic plans.
- Client, supplier and stakeholder relationship management and engagement (IAP2 experience).
- Implementing business management systems and process improvements leading to changes in organisational culture, productivity and financial performance.
- Development and implementation of Health, Safety, Environment and Quality management systems including internal audit services.
- Business and Strategic Planning – facilitating the development of and writing plans and managing implementation.
- Project and organisational change management – development and implementation of project management plans, implemented Prince2, PMBOK, Agile and Lean project and change management tools.
- Legislation and policy review, development and management through governmental processes.
- Fleet, plant and equipment management – preventative and reactive maintenance, insurance and establishing and reviewing contracts.
- Records management and document control – Freedom of Information, IT security, and Privacy.
- Business continuity and disaster recovery.
- Various software (Microsoft Office Suite, TRIM, Content Manager, Technology One, Finance One, JD Edwards), SAP and social media programs and apps.
- Public relations, public speaking, workshop facilitation, community involvement, volunteering, regular networking, ongoing professional development.↑ top
Local Government Experience
David is a former local government manager (City of Cockburn and Shire of Ashburton, WA) and elected member and Deputy Mayor (Town of Victoria Park, WA) and has extensive knowledge of and experience in local government governance, policy-making, strategy, statutory approvals and management generally.
David has a unique experience with and understanding of local government having been a manager and elected member with, and a consultant to local government. He is also a ratepayer.
As Deputy Mayor and an elected member, he played a leading and constructive role in shaping modern Victoria Park and served as a member of the following committees:
- Integrated Movement and Transport Advisory Working Group (Chairman);
- Victoria Park/South Perth Local Government Reform Taskforce;
- Development Assessment Panel (Ministerial appointment);
- Business Life Working Group (Chairperson);
- Disability Access Working Group;
- Regional Planning Committee (SE Metro Zone) (Ministerial appointment);
- WA Local Government Association (SE Metro Zone);
- Community Environmental Working Group;
- Community Safety Working Group;
- Audit Committee (Chairperson);
- Lathlain Park Redevelopment Working Group;
- Multi-purpose Sports Centre Working Group; and
- Parking Management Committee.
His professional skills and experience were used to advocate for and drive the development and implementation of strategies regarding transport, parking and road safety, economic development, public art, corporate governance, financial management, community engagement and strategic town and infrastructure planning.