Job Roles | Qualifications |Certifications | Board Appointments | Memberships & Affiliations | Core Competencies | Local Government Experience
David Ashton is an experienced business manager who has held senior commercial, operational and general management positions across a range of industry sectors, demonstrating a capability to adapt his skills and experience to succeed in different environments.
His key strengths include being able to see the big picture; perseverance; organisational and time management; making connections across domains and working on problems for which the parameters are not clear; ability to influence and persuade; strong negotiation, verbal and written skills; and whole of business awareness.
He is a business manager with integrity, good judgment and a broad perspective who can lead and grow businesses in tough environments through the possession of a strong commercial acumen and governance discipline.
His broad skill set allows him to manage multiple areas of a business, overseeing functional specialists and allowing him to perform a range of tasks which might otherwise be carried out by several people.
Prior to commencing his consulting business David Ashton held the following positions within government and industry:
- Commercial Manager (R2R Services).
- Regional Operations Manager / Contract Manager (United Group (Services) Ltd).
- WA Asset Manager (Metcash Ltd).
- Manager Administration & Supply (WA TAB).
- Senior Administration Officer (Shire of Ashburton).
- Administrative Support Officer (City of Cockburn).↑ top
- Graduate Certificate of Professional Accounting (Commercial Law, Financial Accounting, Management Accounting, Finance) – 2020
- Diploma of Quality Auditing (OHS , QMS, EMS, Risk) – 2012
- Master of Business Administration (Finance, HR, Marketing, Management, Business Strategy) – 2001
- Bachelor of Arts (Social Sciences) (Economics, Political Economy, Management Theory, Asian Business and Culture, Media) – 1994
- CPCCWHS1001 Construction Safety White Card-WA Course (W/C No.: 10665736) – 2020
- Graduate – AICD Company Directors Course (Residential Program) – 2012
- Certificate of Registration as a Real Estate and Business Sales Representative (Registration No.: 56183) (REIWA) – 2006 ↑ top
- Board Member (Consumer Representative) – Architects Board of Western Australia (Ministerial Appointment, since October 2017) – Member of the Governance Sub-committee.
- Expert Director – South West Aboriginal Land and Sea Council (SWALSC) (Since April 2016) – Chairperson of the SWALSC Finance, Audit and Risk Sub-committee.↑ top
Memberships and Affiliations
- Bunbury Geographe Chamber of Commerce & Industries.
- Australian Institute of Company Directors (Graduate Member).
Core Competencies / Skills
- Financial Management / Accounting / CFO / Multi-million Dollar Budgets & Budgeting (PL, BS, CAPEX).
- Internal Controls / Project Controls.
- Business Continuity Planning / Incident Management.
- Contract / Commercial Law.
- Enterprise Governance, Risk & Compliance Management (AS8000 / ISO31000).
- Internal Audit (Systems, Policies & Procedures).
- Policy / Procedure Development & Implementation.
- Business Analysis / Process Improvement.
- Strategic & Business Planning / Implementation.
- Project Planning / Management (Prince2, PMBOK, Agile & Lean).
- Quality Management Systems (ISO9001).
- Health & Safety Management Systems (ISO45001).
- Environment Management Systems (ISO14001).
- Information Security Management Systems (ISO 27001).
- ISO Certification.
- Human Resource Management.
- Performance Management.
- People Skills / Management / Teamwork / Team Building.
- Leadership / Lateral Thinking.
- Organisational Change Management.
- Executive Management / Board Member.
- Aboriginal Engagement / Reconciliation (RAPs).
- Diversity / Disability Consultancy.
- Community & Stakeholder Engagement.
- Workshop & Webinar Facilitation / Chairing Meetings.
- Grant Writing / Strategy.
- Tender / Bid Writing / Strategy.
- Procurement & Contract Management
- Research / Report Writing / Feasibility Studies.
- Public Relations / Speaking / Advocacy / Networking.
- Customer / Client / Supplier Relationship Management & Engagement.
- Business Advisory / Management Consulting.
- ICT System Administration.
- Microsoft Office, SAP, Social Media Applications.
- Construction / Capital Works Supervision.
- Asset & Facilities Management / Planning (Asset Management Plans).
- Asset Management Systems (ISO55000).
- Property Sales & Leasing (All property classes).
- Corporate Real Estate (Rent, Outgoings, Lease Negotiation & Management).
- Property Development / Land Management / Subdivisions.
- Local Government / Public Sector Management.
- Local Government Law Enforcement / Statutory Approvals.
- Bushfire / Emergency Management. ↑ top
Local Government Experience
David has a unique experience with and understanding of local government having been a manager and elected member with, and a consultant to local government. Through this he has gained an extensive knowledge of and experience in local government governance, policy-making, strategy, statutory approvals and management generally.
As Deputy Mayor and an elected member, he played a leading and constructive role in shaping modern Victoria Park and served as a member of the following committees:
- Integrated Movement and Transport Advisory Working Group (Chairman);
- Victoria Park/South Perth Local Government Reform Taskforce;
- Development Assessment Panel (Ministerial appointment);
- Business Life Working Group (Chairperson);
- Disability Access Working Group;
- Regional Planning Committee (SE Metro Zone) (Ministerial appointment);
- WA Local Government Association (SE Metro Zone);
- Community Environmental Working Group;
- Community Safety Working Group;
- Audit Committee (Chairperson);
- Lathlain Park Redevelopment Working Group;
- Multi-purpose Sports Centre Working Group; and
- Parking Management Committee.
His professional skills and experience were used to advocate for and drive the development and implementation of strategies regarding transport, parking and road safety, economic development, public art, corporate governance, financial management, community engagement and strategic town and infrastructure planning.