Case Study One
We undertook a review and re-write of policies and procedures, conducted stakeholder consultation and developed and implemented a training program for disability inclusion on behalf of a local government.
The project involved:
- Reviewing and redesigning Human Resource policy, procedures and practices to support inclusive recruitment and retention;
- Engaging and consulting with identified internal and external stakeholders; and
- Delivering employees training on how to be a ‘disability confident’ organisation.
The aim of this project was to develop a more inclusive workplace for prospective and current employees and promote the organisation as ‘disability confident’.
In order to complete this project we undertook the following tasks:
- Lead with the joint preparation of a Stakeholder Engagement Plan collaboratively with the project manager;
- Facilitated a workshop of disability employment and service providers which also included follow up discussion;
- Provided feedback to the project manager for Inclusive Recruitment Foundation pre and post training survey’s for internal stakeholders;
- Reviewed the existing HR policy, procedure and practice relevant to the project;
- Redesigned existing HR policy, procedure and practice relevant to the project; and
- Designed and delivered training that effectively tackled practices that act as barriers to employment and create an inclusive ‘disability confident’ organisational culture supported by redesign of Human Resource policy, procedure and practice relevant to the project.
Where staff or employment/service providers were unable to attend workshops we engaged with them via telephone to ascertain their views and obtain feedback on matters that would assist us to complete our work.
We also delivered two comprehensive project status reports which provided a series of recommendations for the organisation to implement beyond the initial project scope. We also recommended new policies that the organisation could adopt to complement the work we had undertaken.
At the end of the project the organisation had an improved suite of HR policies, procedure and practice pertaining to recruitment, selection, induction and retention of people with disability and staff had received training that fostered more directly a culture that is inclusive of people with disability.